Saturday, October 13, 2012

Quick Day-Trip to Vienna

 

            Our last morning in Budapest we all grabbed a quick breakfast from the hotel and then headed out to catch some more sleep on the bus. IMG_0377

             On our way to the Czech Republic, we made a quick day-stop in Vienna. Since I’m SO far behind on this blog, I’ll just quickly caption what each picture is. (Basically the pictures will tell the story much better than I can this time.) IMG_0390

             This is a famous museum in Vienna that I believe used to be a palace. The library in it is still used for study and research today. We didn’t go on the tour because it cost more money than any of us cared to spend, but we got some nice photos!IMG_0399

             Outside of the Museum, this gentleman was playing the accordion. He was really good, so one guy on the trip dropped some money in his little container. I snapped a picture and then as he got upset about people in our group taking pictures of him without dropping money, I kinda bailed.IMG_0477

              I can’t quite remember the name of this church, but apparently it was one of the ‘must-see’s’ in Vienna. It’s named after one of the saints… but I’ve never really known any of them… possibly St. Peter but I’m not positive. Anyways, inside it’s very pretty and there is gold literally everywhere. Inside there are 2-3 shrines on each side for specific saints or important people, one of which was an important cardinal (I think that’s right…) who’s body was ‘preserved’ – meaning basically nasty bones wearing robes and a little crown thing – and is now on display in a glass case in his little shrine section. I can honestly say, that may have been one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen in a church. The interesting thing about this church and finding it, was that it’s practically smooshed into the street next to all of the buildings that have been built around it. It’s really hidden and I would bet that anyone who tries to find it will stumble upon it almost accidentally.

IMG_0482

         Minus the person taking the picture and a couple of others, this is the group that went gallivanting through Vienna for the couple of hours that we were there. Super fun, and I loved seeing it with them! :o)

IMG_0487

             Throughout the tiny streets, there are artists who sketch out Vienna and do beautiful watercolors of them. We didn’t stop and talk to this lady, but some people in my group bought paintings from another girl who works with her father to make money on them.

IMG_0491

                   Kind of a fun reflection picture of a really cool building in the background. We went there, and took a million pictures of it, before we realized that it is now used as an office building. We think it may have been a cathedral or a mini-palace before. (Fun fact – the reflection is from the side of a WC – aka – bathroom)

IMG_0489

                  As our time got low, we decided to grab something quick for lunch and I ended up buying the BIGGEST slice of pizza of my life. Believe it or not, I had to have it cut down to three ‘smaller’ pieces in order to eat it. Super good though! (Fun fact – typically in Europe, it’s super rude and really weird to use your hands when eating things like pizza and fries.)

IMG_0507

                  After lunch we left Vienna and headed into The Czech Republic. Here’s a view of the countryside from our bus. And now onto Prague…

No comments:

Post a Comment